Deciding what kind of career path to take before starting college is a real challenge. There pressure from parents, friends and advisors as to what job is the best fit for you. In all reality the choice is yours to make. If are thinking about becoming a home appliance repairman, then there are some things that you will need to know and consider along the way.
How to Become a Home Appliance Repairman $34,730
High School or GED
High School or GED
- There are a number of appliance found within a home. Decide which ones you want to specialize in and focus on getting trained on how they operate.
- Complete the steps to finish you high school education and get your diploma or GED. Before you can move on to higher education you will need this foundational education.
- Get into secondary training classes right away. Look for training seminars that deal with HVAC systems, appliance repair, and electronics. Consider also focusing on technical writing classes, telecommunications and even learning about digital circuitry.
- You might also think about enrolling in a community college education program that specializes in general appliance repair. You will gain the basic knowledge needed to get started. The school may also be able to fit you with a local company to help train you for the job once graduation is complete.
- Focus on developing skills that deal with sales, listening, professionalism and courtesy.These skills should be worked on long before ever taking your first assignment. As a repairman you are the front line to the face of the company.
- Think about working as an apprentice for the first couple of years. As an apprentice you get to work alongside of a seasoned person that knows about the job. They will also be able to help you learn all the different kinds of machines that are out there.
- Get the licenses that you will need in order to work on Refrigerants and other regulated devices. Check with EPA for more details about the state in which you will be working.
- Get any certification credentials that you will need in order to be able to work in the state in which you reside.
What You Can Expect as A Home Appliance Repairman
- One of the biggest questions people ask about a new job is about the pay. As a home appliance repairman you can expect to see an average pay of $34,730 per year, which averages out to $16.70 per hour.
- In some cases there is on-the-job training that can be done.
- As of 2010 there were 47,700 positions available with an expectant growth of 3,100 positions over the next 10 years.
- Your work area will be in the homes of people and offices that call you to perform a job for them. You will have to drive so make sure that you have a valid driver’s license.
- In some cases you will be able to set your own hours if you are self employed. If you end up working for a company, you will then have to work off of a set schedule and be available the hours the company puts you down for.
- Expect to have to move heavy objects. Some of the appliances that you will be working on may have to be moved. Get the tools you need in order to move the appliances safely and without damaging the decor of the home you are working in.
Taking the steps to becoming a home appliance repairman can seem long when first starting out. Simply plan out your path and stick to it. Before long you will working on your own and earning the money you long deserve.