If you like to drive, then there is a good chance that you will want to pursue a career as a driving instructor. A driver instructor is a person that teaches other people how to operate an auto safely. They teach them the rules of the road and how to handle the vehicle while it is in motion. As a future driving instructor here are a few things that you may want to know about the process of landing the job.
What it takes to Become a Driving Instructor
- As a driving instructor all you need to have is a high school diploma or your GED. Even though it is not a requirement a higher education degree is always a bonus.
- Your license must also be in good standing in the state in which you are trying to instruct.
- You must also have a good understanding of the vehicle you are wanting to drive. It is a good idea to have 2 to 5 years of experience before applying for the license to instruct.
- Clear up any tickets or outstanding items that are outstanding on your driving record. If you have had any tickets in the past few years make an effort to keep any more from coming up.
- Develop on good communication skills, being patient with people, teaching as well as learning skills, know how to listen and know to be compassionate of people.
Steps to Take to Be a Driving Instructor
- Determine what kind of instructor you want to be and get the license you need to teach other people.
- Get the appropriate driving experience.
- Complete the instructor training program offered by the state you want to teach in. There might be specific requirements that you will need to finish before licensure can be granted so check with your state before applying.
- Get the instructors license. Take the written exam and pass the practical exams.
- Keep your license up-to-date. Some licenses expire and will have to be renewed every few years.
- Get any appropriate endorsements that you will need in order to drive the vehicle you are wanting to teach and work through some national saftey courses.
What You can Expect as a Driving Instructor
As a potential driving instructor there may be some questions that you have about your future position. Here are some facts that you will want to know about while making your decision to become an instructor.
- The normal starting salary for a driving instructor is right around $20,544 per year. The average salary is $31,562 per year while the top is around $48,493 per year.
- As an instructor you can expect a 40 hour week with hours as they are given by your employer. Normal instructors can expect to see some overtime as part of their regular work week.
- There are full time and part time positions available. If you end up with a part time position starting off, then you may be able to move up to a full time position.
- As an instructor you will be to set class schedules and facilitate driving appointments, show people what signs mean and what the rules of the road are.
A driving instructor is a great career for people who like to be outside and on the go. If you like to meet new people and help them succeed, then this job s right for you. Take the time and explore all of your options of what type of vehicle you want to instruct drivers on. You career path starts when you are ready to go to the next level in your desire to become a driving instructor.